Sunset Over the Marsh Grasses

Marsh or coastal grasses here in NW Florida are much like those found on the prairies as they range in size and color. In the summer months almost totally green. While there was a decent sunset and by chance a summer squall, I was shooting primarily for the grasses.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback always welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
D850, Tokina 17-35 @24mm, f/22, .6 sec, ISO 31

I made two exposures of this scene, one over by a stop, one under by two stops and in PS, blended them together using lights and darks masks to accentuate the highlights from the setting sun, but also to give detail to the darker areas for depth control. Lots of mask painting on both sets of masks as well as HSB and brightness/contrast. I did this because in the summer months there is little if any color differentiation in the greens of the grasses.

Chris, you put yourself in the right place at the right time. I like how you’ve got the sun’s reflection between the two posts. The mix of grasses, old pier, water and sky looks great. This view captures the wide open feeling of grasslands.

1 Like

I positioned the camera, every few seconds it seemed…the sun ball is just above the horizon in between the posts.