Sunset Snowy

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Any pertinent technical details: I got this guy in the last few moments of sunset light down at the Merced NWR and it fluffed up just for me, or so it seemed. D500, 1/800th, f/8.0, ISO 800, 350mm, cropped to 3965 x 3026, hand held

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hello Dave I’m really enjoying your snowy egret post. The lighting is perv the bird is sharp I blew it all the way up and it was still Sharp. The only thing I might ask for to make it even better is to have the bird’s entire reflection in the water. A small small nit and it works just fine for me as is. Thanks for giving us a look and the opportunity to comment.

Dave: I think that you’d be hard pressed to come up with better light and pose than you already have. My only minor suggestion would be to attempt to bring down the exposure on the whites just a bit to obtain more detail in the feathers. Otherwise, it’s a visual treat. Richard

Hi Dave,
I like the light and the vegetation gives a nice sense of place to the scene. I could see bringing down the whites just a tad as Richard mentions but not so far that you begin graying them out. A nice end of day scene.

Lovely late evening light on the Snowy, Dave. The exposure and detail both look good and I find that I like this quartering pose. I think you could add a touch of canvas on the top as it feels like the egret will bump it’s head if it straightens up at all. If you want to maintain your aspect ratio, a touch more on the left wouldn’t hurt the image.

Okay, I played with its whites, and expanded the crop height and left edge but I could not put more reflection at the bottom… there was none to play with, It’s already bottomed out. I think it did improve it. What do you think?