Surprise mantis

I was trying out a new combination of the RF 100-400mm lens and the RF 1.4 extender from a blind at the Sugar Grove Nature Center which has 2 windows to shoot from. I was working with the birds coming in to the feeders when I spotted a pair of antennas sticking up from behind leaves of a bush right outside of one of the blinds windows. I watched as a praying mantis climbed further out on the leaf. I could just focus on it and was able to take several photos. When I stopped shooting to change lenses, the mantis flew away. This was the first time I have seen a mantis in flight. No chance of a in flight photo.

Specific Feedback Requested

I liked the light on the mantis. I used this composition because in the full body shots areas of the mantis were blown out.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, Canon 100-400mm 5.6/8 with the RF 1.4 extender @ 420mm
1/800 @ F-11 ISO 800 Hand held

1 Like

John, I love those surprises when out shooting for one thing, and find another to pose nicely for me. It looks like he is pointing out another subject to you with his front foot. I like the backlighting, but there are a few spots that seem a bit hot (top of his head and on the leaf). Not sure if it is totally blown out but hopefully not. That nice smooth BG sure makes him stand out.

I love this, too. Terrific job rolling with the changes and doing such a great job with this new subject. Sharpness looks good, highlights look a tiny bit blown as Shirley mentions. That background though…fab!

1 Like

Thank you, Kristen, for your kind comments.

Thank you for your kind comments.

1 Like

Its gesture makes me think of Zsa Zsa Gabor holding out a gloved hand and saying “Dahlink”. :grin:

1 Like