Survivor

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A somewhat battered Tiger swallowtail visits the white lilac bush in the backyard. Even though they take a beating, they keep flying. You can see the entire lower swallow tail part of the closest wing is gone and we can see its opposite number clearly.

It was challenging to shoot this lovely creature because they are fast and the bush is in the shade which bumps the ISO, but I like this result very much. I’ve been messing with my flash a little and may try that next time.

Specific Feedback

Thoughts on processing and of course the technicals.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for RAW work which basically meant massaging whites and highlights, but also a small crop and then into Topaz Denoise AI (Low light, auto settings). Then I worked with masking to bring up the butterfly more clearly. Also the HSL panel to lower the greens a bit.

1 Like

It always amazes me how beat up these butterflies can get and still function. Good details in the butterfly, and the lilac is exposed very nicely. The bg greens look very nice, as well. Well done.

Kris, this is a terrific look at the Tiger Swallowtail. Wonderful details, and I like the position you captured him in, with all of his face and body showing, and enough of the wings to enjoy the beauty. He has gone through quite a bit it looks like. I always wonder what the stories are behind their damaged wings (maybe near misses with birds). And yes, it is amazing that they are able to adjust to the damage and still fly. Beautiful flower and nice smooth BG too. Great shot. Now you have me thinking about flash for the BF’s!

Thanks @terryb and @Shirley_Freeman - we do see them as fragile, but they can take a lot of abuse before they give up. I assume it’s birds, too. We have a ton of Phoebes and Least flycatchers in the yard so plenty of potential predators.

I have a lot more misses than hits with this session, but maybe I can see if they are still active tomorrow if the lilac is still fresh enough.

2 Likes

Hi Kris,
that looks beautiful. The butterfly is nice and sharp.

I’m not sure about the leaf in the ULC. I would try to blur that.

Yes, I have noticed that as well. Butterflies have always been too fast for me. :joy:
So I’m happy for you that you were able to catch one.