Suspended

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Megg
Welcome!!
That is a very nice picture! I really like the head position and the white motion on the wings, I would increase the highlights to make them pop more. Also would increase the shadows a bit to make the neck pop as well. Increasing the exposure you can also get similar results but will affect also the background, which is affected in a lesser degree using highlights and shadows.
It would be great if you can tell us more about the shot, like settings and techniques, did you wait for it of just had the opportunity and acted fast?
Great work, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the remarks. That was my first post so will get better as I gain a better understanding. After I posted it I took a good look and did exactly what you suggested. Much better now. I was uncertain about how much info to post but will take your advice and continue to post. Very glad to be part of this community and thanks again for your input.
Megg

Welcome to the NPN Megg. Wonderful first post and how you managed to capture this photo is amazing. I agree with @Juan and I suspect that will bring out more color under the birds neck. Perfect pose the little bird gave you.

Catching a hummingbird in this position is difficult if you have a feeder or flower setup. I agree with Juan and he gave you some good advice. It is really helpful to include technical details including iso, lens, shutter speed, f stop, etc. We can certainly be more effective in our critiques with this information. Welcome.

Welcome Megg! This is a pleasing head on pose with an interesting look at the blurred wings. Agree with brightening the image. Nice frame.

Hellog Megg: First, Welcome to NPN. Hope you find this community helpful, friendly and useful for your photography.

I’m really enjoy photographing hummingbirds and think you’ve got a good start on this one. You’ve received some solid input so far and min thoughts would echo the comments. Overall a nice pose, but hampered by the imager just being too dark. I grabbed the image and did a couple of quick adjustments to demonstrate what might be there. You’d have much better results working on the original RAW file. I’m not completely satisfied with the result, but it is intended more as a starting point to look at options. Here’s the result:

Welcome to NPN Megg, nice flight pose but a bit dark as Keith noted. It’s always good to include your camera, lens, iso, F-stop and shutter speed to help us give you better critiques. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Welcome to NPN and the Avian forum, Megg. I don’t have anything to add to the critique except to say that you caught a killer angle on this hummingbird. With a little playing in post processing this will be a superb image.