Swainson's Thrush

Technically, I guess it’s a root, not a stick, but it serves the same purpose, since I put it up as a perch. I liked the background and the pose in this image, and I thought a short break from the bathing beauties would be appropriate.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. Very little done to this image other than noise reduction and a crop.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/100, iso 3200, manual exposure. I think I processed this in just Lightroom and DxO as I was without PS for a few weeks. Taken on June 16th at 8:31 am under cloudy skies and in deep shadows, hence the settings.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very clean for iso-3200 and well processed. I like the pose, the perch, and a familiar -looking background.

Hello, Dennis, I can only echo David. I would add that it’s a fine looking bird - I look up what the size is, since it’s look pretty small, and indeed it’s a bit smaller than our Song Trush. Learning all the time :wink: … Cheers, Hans

Dennis, this is an excellent capture at a very low (for me anyway) shutter speed for small birds, even if they are perched. They seem to move constantly. You must have told him to hold still! Wonderful lighting, perch, and excellent details in the subject. He really stands out nicely against that clean background.

On first look without reading your description, the exposure and catchlights in the eye made me want to compliment your flash work! That’s quite an accomplished photo, especially considering the deep shadows. I confess that I’ve never even tried my cameras at 3200 ISO, but you have me reconsidering.