Sweet Pea + RP

Here’s a RP with the darker and shaded bud lightened up and lowered in saturation. Thanks for the nudges – it’s definitely an improvement:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These came up from seed from some I planted last year, and they are about to fall victim to a weed-eater so I decided I’d better try to shoot some. I didn’t quite get what I hoped for, as they are embedded in wild grasses with the tallest stems as tall as I am (which isn’t an impressive amount), and just planting the tripod was a chore. I’ll try to do better next year, on the next generation.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 1.22.26 PM

Focus stack of 36. No LR adjustments, minor BG cloning in PS on the final DMap.

3 Likes

Diane, I think the flowers look beautiful against the muted soft background, and the wild grasses are lovely. You did a great job on the focus stacking. The one bottom right red petal seems to stand out more than the others and my eyes keep going right to that petal. Other than that, it’s a great composition and photo!

Beautiful flowers and the bokeh in the out of focus background is perfect, Diane. Exactly the sort of image that focus stacking is best at. A lovely image.

Thanks, @robertakayne – you’re right – it’s a bud and in the shade but definitely an eye-magnet. Fixed (I hope) in a RP above.

Hi Diane,
wow, that looks great. I love the composition and the DOF.
And your rework is on point. Well done!

The repost definitely improves things - quite harmonious colors now and I have leisure to explore the varied shapes and hues. What a stack! I have the hardest time with any grasses or stems that are this thick. Really super. I love the tiny clinging tendrils.

Hi Diane, being naturally inclined to liking front to back sharp images but never having done stacks myself (the few times that I tried in PS didn’t go well), it’s always pleasure to see your stacks. Awesome work! I really enjoy seeing the flowers with HD clarity. The tendrils are a super additional detail and the rest of the background is very soft.

It is true that the petal on the bottom right had too much weight, and you did a great job closing off the left side of the image. The eye stays on the flowers much better in the rework, although at the cost of some depth - but definitely worth the trade-off. Speaking of the ULC, I find that my eye still escapes there a little too much. Perhaps a tiny bit of cropping may be beneficial. I think I may also see a very slight halo on the right edge of the petal that you lightened up (just being super fussy here, but that is what we are here for hey?)

Thanks @Jens_Ober, @Kris_Smith and @LauraEmerson! Laura, you caught a sloppy mask – thanks! I do think a bit could come off the left, too. Not enough of a change to do another RP, though, but consider it fixed.

2 Likes