White Orchid + RP

I decided the front leaf needed a little more light. I had subdued it and just brushed out a small amount of the curves adjustment.

The original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This orchid has been taunting me to keep trying to do it justice. (It’s the first time I’ve ever gotten one to re-bloom so it’s pretty special and it knows it!) I tried to cover the dirt and sides of the pot with black cloth and drape it behind, but getting rid of distractions was futile, so I ended up using one of the OOF BGs I sometimes shoot for times like this. I had to get rid of three other blooms on the right that were at an unattractive sideways angle, and three other leaves going toward the back. (With a little more patience and a way to hang it, I might have come close with the velvet drape.)

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 2.55.06 PM

Focus stack of maybe about 15. A lot of fiddling with color from mixed lighting – I liked the flowers but never got happy with the leaves, so went with B/W. A cutout with a different BG added.

1 Like

Diane: This is exceptionally good! Marvelous tones in the flowers and the leaves and the BG is marvelous. Superbly crafted image. :+1: :+1:>=))>

I agree with Bill, amazing image Diane! :clap:

Thanks, @Bill_Fach and @Saundie! Looking at it here, I’m wondering if I need a little more canvas on top? Easy to do.

It bugged me that the top flower is a little squatty looking, as it was leaning back. If I got higher to make it look better the leaves started moving behind the flowers, which are on the end of a typical long droopy stem. (It blew me away how fast that stem grew.) I could probably stretch the one flower, too.

Beautiful subject and photo. The stack was a great idea as I think blurry leaves would have been distracting.

I little more canvas on top would add balance to the photo. I did not notice the squatty look until I read your comment and looked again, so I think its ok. I would be tempted to remove the stem below the lower flower and reshoot.

Thanks, @tjeeper! I’m going to add a little more on top. I’m not wedded to traditional aspect ratios, but could also add a bit more on the sides – might as well keep the 1:1 as it has a certain art feel to it.

I debated about the stem – it’s the end of the single stem with the flowers and probably won’t grow further, but I’d hate to do it any damage. I was delighted that the rest of it was hidden behind the flowers and leaves from this viewpoint. Easy to prune it on the image. But I’m still debating about the touch of authenticity it adds. Sort of shows the flowers might be attached to something.

Perfect
love the leaves which are always hard to work with.

Thanks @Steve_Rosendahl – the leaves drove me nuts!

Diane! This has the exquisite tones of a Paul Caponigro still life. Velvety and sensual! Masterful!

Wow – thanks, @John_Teti_Sr_46 – that’s the nicest complement my work has ever received! I just found your photography online and am immersed in it – a very different world!

1 Like

Many thanks, @Bill_Fach and @Kris_Smith – I just now saw the EP. I will inform the orchid that it’s efforts have been appreciated. I’m so happy it presented me with a composition I loved!

I’ve gotten away from regular photography in preparations for the total eclipse and now an interruption of that with some suddenly sort-of-clear skies for trying to capture the current comet and master the processing needed. So far, frustrations with a very small subject, less then optimal sky conditions and difficult processing.

Quite deserved! I’m looking forward to your eclipse photos so any effort you’re putting in will be worth it.

Gorgeous Image !!! Beautiful Image Diane. Black and White really works here on this image… The composition and Tone are really good. Sharp and Just beautiful.

Thanks, @Gill_Vanderlip! This was a wonderful chance and I’m so happy I got a good image from it.