White Orchid

It seems to be white orchid season! A friend gave me a gorgeous one and I had to try to do it justice with some pictures. I started with some macro explorations, and went for focus stacks to start with.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 11.11.12 AM

Indoors with indirect window light on a cloudy day. In LR, whites increased to give a tiny bit more tonal stretch and a very small bit of Clarity. Stack of maybe 30 in Zerene. I was pleased I was able to resolve the small curly structure on the lip and the detail behind it. Only very slight retouching in PS. Crop for composition.

3 Likes

What a start, Diane. This is gorgeous. The detail is stunning, Love how you have handled the whites, giving plenty of information while still keeping it white. Absolutely stunning.

Stunning orchid image, Diane. The focus stacking was a big success. I love the different white tones. They really bring out the inside of the flower. The frame fits this scene perfectly with the very narrow yellow inside border. Very nicely done.

A truly wonderful image here, Diane. The floral portraiture of this orchid is stunning… :sunglasses:

1 Like

I really like this Diane. The whites and the yellow on the lip hit the mark and the comp is balanced, with the lighting having enough subtle shadow to give some depth.

The curly bit is insane!!! That’s so great that you rendered it so well. I also like all the colors that go to make up the shading in the petals. White is rarely ever so stark as we think of it. Really fabulous. I look forward to seeing more!

Diane, this is simply sublime. Wow, perfect comp, exposure, and processing. I am amazed. Wow.

Most photographers take close-ups of Phalaenopsis flowers head on with the petals parallel to the plane of the lens. And you departed from the norm and captured the center of the flower with a very interesting point of view. The comp is perfect and the color patterns along with the yellows generate a lot of interest for the viewer. You can tell that I like this one as presented…Jim

1 Like

WOW!! I really like this one. The details are amazing and so are the yellow/red colors but also the shadows in the white areas making that parts come alive. The focus stacking seems to be perfect. I could not find anything to improve.

Hi Diane,

I think you achieved your goal! :slight_smile:

This is a real winner!
As others have said, the perspective, details and colors are great.
The lighting and the exposure level make it even better.

Well done! :slight_smile:

Diane, beautiful and stunning! Stacking done well and details are incredible. Love the varying tones of white and yellow. Agree with Jim on perspective.

This is just beautiful Diane. I haven’t anything to add that hasn’t already been noted, I just love it. Brightness of the various tones is spot on. Cheers.