A White Orchid Blooms Again!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have had miserable luck keeping orchids alive, but last year I followed my instincts with re-potting two new ones and both survived and grew new leaves. Then in mid-December I was astonished to see one growing a bloom stalk. It now has three pristine flowers and three buds. I noticed this closeup view and decided to see if I could capture it.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 9.41.53 AM

Focus stack of maybe 15-20 out of 25. Whites bumped up in LR then into Zerene. Minor additional blurring a couple of spots and a crop for composition.

3 Likes

Diane: A beautiful flower superbly captured. I like shallow DOF images like this and how you managed the plane of focus and parts of the image that are sharp. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Wow, very beautiful, marvellous colors and an intriguing composition. I admire your daring creativity. Well done.

Thanks, @Bill_Fach and @HennyJA! I’m lucky I saw this view – I had moved it to the centerpiece of the dining table to reward it for its valiant efforts (although it will soon go back to better light). I glanced over to admire it during dinner and saw this view. It probably helped that there was a glass of an appropriate wine between me and the flower – definitely a white for a subject like this.

1 Like

Wow…it’s like sunrise on another planet. Truly beautiful and intriguing. It’s the unusual composition and that glow. Super job.

Beautiful, Diane. An excellent choice of angle and your lighting is wonderful.

Thanks, @Kris_Smith and @Dennis_Plank! I’m still looking at it and thinking of other compositions.

Thanks, @Bill_Fach and @Kris_Smith for the EP! A delightful surprise!!

1 Like