White Ice Orchid

Just playing with in-camera image focus stacking
These orchids are at least 15 years old and purchased at Home Depot.
Outdoor natural light - black backdrop

Specific Feedback Requested

cropping
stacking

Technical Details

Lumix G9

2 Likes

Lovely flowers. You have a greener thumb than I, for sure. I’ve never found much use for the in-camera focus stacking in the G9 despite trying to use it. If this was confined to just the leading parts of the main facing flower, I’d say it’s a success, but on closer examination of other parts of the bouquet, it shows its limitations. Color and light are nice, but I’d like to see more of the stem and supporting structures. Also not sure what lens you used since you never list more than a camera, but if it’s the 45mm f/2 macro, I’ve noticed a bit of fringing/chromatic aberration with this lens from time to time and I see some here. Always a pain to deal with. The arrangement of the flowers themselves works nicely to show how they look at so many angles. Alas, they would not like being my company!

My hat is off to anyone who can keep an orchid alive for more than 15 weeks, much less years. I got one for Christmas and stole some time yesterday to shoot it – closeups first.

I’ll echo @Kris_Smith’s feeling about wanting to see some BG detail – just a hint. I also wonder about more detail in the whites – I doubt it can be done best with in-camera processing.

Very nice image Steve. I understand Kristen and Diane’s comments regarding the need for some background detail, but I just really like the original as it is. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to black backgrounds, and I prefer them to be the way you have presented yours…pure black and high contrast, with no background detail to distract from the high contrast (in-your-face) presentation. Well done. Cheers.

1 Like