Wild Sweet Pea Pods-Repost

Photo was taken a couple weeks ago. It makes me think of some hard worked socks hanging outside to dry.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am wondering if the image suffers due to limited dof. Is this am image that works as is or would it be better as a stack/composite?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
R5, 100mm macro, f/5.6, 1/640, ISO 800, LR, Photo was taken as a vertical, rotated a bit during processing and then cropped to about 88% of full frame.
I suspect there was a bit of a breeze blowing close to the shore.

Nice DOF choice. The nearest flower with the bent back petal is an eye-catcher and the repeating pattern of the others is great for limited DOF. Our minds fill in the blanks and our artistic sensibilities appreciate the subtlety. Did you make a choice to leave it this dark? I like it, don’t get me wrong, but I think our first instincts would be to up the exposure - either in the field or in post. The colors are harmonious and rich. You could tone down the stem in the bg if you want.

This unusual subject has a wonderful subtle complexity – as Kris said the repeating but slightly different flowers work so well, and they do evoke well-worn socks hanging to dry. I love the composition and how the leaves coming up from the bottom splay out and point to the flowers. Maybe darken the BG stem a bit, but only a bit. I like the low key presentation.

David: POF/DOF choices are always a challenge. In the largest view a lot of the details in the top of the blooms (sepals?) are OOF and that detracts some for me. I do like the overall dark ambience and the subject and comp. >=))>

Thanks @Kris_Smith , @Bill_Fach , @Diane_Miller . I wondered about bg stem. My first version had it cropped out and then at last minute went with a larger crop and decided to post. And the stem was there.
Kris I exposed for the whites and then everything else became darker. In processing I then picked up the exposure on the balance of flower buds ( I think they turn into flowers).
I think the dof is all right but I am more in line with Bill. Just a bit more to get the tops of the first two or three buds in focus.
I was trying to avoid stacking but… I have now tried a few.

Thanks again. Very helpful.

David, It is evocative image. you have managed contrast well. I like the composition. Agree with Diane on darkening the background stem and Bill on focus.

1 Like