Tȟatȟáŋka in Yellowstone w/Repost

Color Balance Adjustment:

Original Image:

I know I can’t compete with the wonderful wildlife images here, but I thought I’d post this image from a trip to Yellowstone in the winter of 2018. This was shot from the window of our snow cat in late afternoon sun. I would love to have the all the buffalo separated, but this was the best shot of the bunch.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm GFX50S, GF32-64mm @ 51mm, 1/450 sec @ f/16, ISO 400, Handheld out the window…

1 Like

Beautiful landscape, it really capture essence of the place, Yellowstone!
It would be expecting too much, if you expect separation between all the buffalos.
I’m keen to know, why you didn’t prefer to remove pinkish / purplish cast from the snow?

No problem with the few buffalo that aren’t separated, I like the image as it is. Great shot of these majestic animals in their natural habitat.
I agree with @JRajput that the snow has a color cast, that could be removed (to taste).

@JRajput and @Han_Schutten, thank you for the comments. I missed the off color on the snow. I just posted a revision up above with a hopefully better color.

Cheers,
David

Wow! The repost is so much better!

Cheers!

1 Like

The repost is definitely a lot more neutral. But color balance often is a matter of taste and not always objective. Although hesitating to bounce between a number of beautiful images, I take the risk and add another one to the series.

1 Like

Thanks Han, your version has the warmth I was looking without the color cast of my first one. Nice!

I think you did well to spot the dominant line of bison and compose using that to your advantage. Your repost is definitely stronger, color-wise. Han’s works well too (the bison fur verges on being too bold, but I think the brighter tones in the snow indeed work better).