Taking Five

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here’s a whooper swan (imported, not native) that I came upon yesterday. It was at the edge of our nearby lake and it never moved a muscle in the 30 minutes I observed it. I like the double swan ball that it presented.

Specific Feedback

Cropping? Water color?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/4000th, f 9.0, 1035mm, ISO 800, cropped to 3592 x 4499

1 Like

Great pose and detail in the feathers, Dave. I am curious how in the world did you get a shot with the water so still? The reflection is amazing. Only thought, IMHO, is when I zoom in at the top center and right are a couple of dark spots. Maybe cloning or dodging them out? Nicely seen and captured.

Amazing how they can sleep like that. I’ve read that with perching birds, their feet basically lock closed and so can’t slip when the rest of their muscles relax into sleep. I wonder if wading birds or water birds have something similar. I’ve watched a loon take a nap while floating, but this looks to be standing. So interesting.

The eye looks to be sharp and most of the feathers, too. Whites look good (such as they are, white birds show ever mark, don’t they? Like white cars). If you had a mind you could remove the darker bits at the top of the frame for a smoother presentation of the water.

Great image, Dave. The bird looks all wrapped up nicely. The reflection is icing on the cake. Well done.

Great pose and reflections, Dave and an excellent job on the whites. I agree with Kris about removing the dark blotches in the water. A thin white border might really set this image off for those of us using the dark theme.