Tundra Swans

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken at a local NWR. The “lake” is seasonal and attracts swans, geese, ducks, and other water fowl.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 420 mm; 1/3200 at f8, -2/3 EV; ISO 5000-I used the NR feature in LR, which seemed to work pretty well.

1 Like

Beautiful image Allen. Amazing to get all the swans sharp and in flight. Love the reflection of the swans too. Image quality looks good to me. A special shot for sure. Well done.

1 Like

Wow! This is a great shot of the swans in fine focus and I too love the reflections. They stand out well against the nice muted BG colors. I know it may just be me, but it feels like the BG could use a slight horizontal adjustment to the right. You may have been deliberately making the swans horizontal in the shot, and if that is so, it makes sense.

1 Like

@Ed_Williams @Allen_Brooks
I wasn’t sure about the straightening needed so I brought the image into Photoshop and checked the water level “horizon” with the ruler tool. Just checking the shoreline in the upper right. Seems like it could use some clockwise straightening a tad.

Great catch, Allen. I keep hoping for a flock to give me this kind of formation when I’m at the refuge where they winter up here, but thus far, I haven’t had much luck. This is just a perfect formation. and a nice angle.

1 Like

I do not know how I missed this one. Excellent photo with whites exposed perfectly and all subjects in sharp focus. It is nice to have a portion of the surrounding habitat to provide some context to the comp. Congrats…Jim

1 Like

Got to love this one - great reflections, nice separation between the birds
A minor nit - if any and you can ignore - the perceived horizon at the tree line might benefit from a slight adjustment

1 Like