Tundra Swans

This was taken last winter at a local seasonal pond-completely dry now-home to wintering swans, geese, and ducks.

Specific Feedback Requested: Do I need more room in front? For sure, if the lead swan was solo, but with the rear swan having adequate room, it may be okay.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 516 mm; 1/2000 at f6.3, -1/3EV; ISO 800

1 Like

This is a beautiful photo! The BG is nicely blurred and blends in perfectly with the birds. I could certainly see this one hanging on a wall. For me, I think the the room you have in front is fine. Great job on this one.

1 Like

Eric,
I don’t think you need more room in front. The swans are all balanced nicely through the frame, to my eye. They are beautifully lit. I love their formation too, climbing up like that. Congrats!

1 Like

@Allen_Brooks - A very nice flight frame. The merge of the two leading birds works OK for this image. Before reading your requested input, my first reaction to the frame is that I wish it had more room all the way around. It feels cramped to me.

1 Like

Very nice!! For my taste, the framing is perfect. The tight formation of the swans makes the somewhat tight framing work, and having more room on the left than the right fits with their motion. Details are very nice and BG colors are perfect!!

1 Like

Very good, Allen. I like the formation and details in the swans are excellent. I could see a bit more room all around, but I think it depends on the use and framing. This would make a fine card as-is. Hanging on the wall, some extra room might help, but if you printed on a canvas wrap they’d have the whole wall to fly into.

1 Like

I am enjoying the colors and composition here. Great background. Nice grouping. I do agree that a little more space around the birds would be helpful.

1 Like

Lovely how the three birds are placed against each other, agree with some more room would enhance the image even further. That said, already a treat as presented. Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Pretty tight comp, but it works with a wonderful BG. I think that more room would help the comp, but I think that the comp is strong enough as presented…,.Jim

1 Like

Hi Allen
This is a nicely grouped set of three Tundra Swans, ( My first viewing of these Swans). The Swans are all in focus, with good eye contact, coloring and feather detail. The framing works, because it is a set of birds, nice work.
Peter

1 Like