Tundra Swan Takeoff (with repost)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an image from earlier this year taken at the Bear River Refuge. These swans stop in the area for a few weeks during their migration. This image was taken at the shore of a little ditch late one morning when the swans were getting active for the day. These birds are quite wary of humans, so it felt good to get one close-up.

Specific Feedback

Any/all.

Technical Details

Techs: 840mm, 1/2000s@F10, ISO640, tripod. Full-frame.

I cloned out a reed above the swan’s head that was distracting.

1 Like

Great take-off pose and detail in the swan. I like the environmental aspects of the image. For my taste I could see desaturating the blues.

Thanks for the feedback, Allen. The blues are from the skies reflecting on the snow. I had desaturated it a little as part of my processing. Bringing them down any more gives a yellow/green tinge to the swan that makes it look odd.

Excellent, Govind. I really like the flight position and the detail in the swan is excellent. I was playing with this on-screen because the reeds at the top tend to draw my eye. I think a nice alternative crop would be to come down from the top to the base of the main reed bed leaving just those few below it and maybe come up from the bottom just a tad to make a pano. Just a thought.

Very nice capture to get in-flight and also some landscape. It appeared to me to have a blue tinge, as well but I read your explanation. I would tend to agree with @Dennis_Plank that you could remove a bit of the reeds in the background - but not all. Well done.

Nice flight pose. I would also try to remove some of the blue cast on the snow. Perhaps you could select the bird and do an inverted selection for the snow. But this is still an enjoyable composition.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @terryb, @David_Schoen for your feedback. Here’s a pano crop with the blues in the snow removed further. Let me know if this looks better.