Swan Ice Landing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Tundra Swan (Cygnus columbianus)

It was a cold and foggy morning…I had one of the best Swan in flight and landing events I’ve ever had yesterday. I went to the local Wildlife Refuge and found a heavy but low layer of fog over the whole place. Above the fog was clear blue sky and bright sun just coming over the horizon. The water was still mostly iced over from last week’s 17 degree temps.

I know this looks blue, but it really was. The blue sky above the fog was causing this unique color cast . The camera recorded this even bluer, I warmed it up some. All of my images from this event have similar blue casts. It was awesome.

This fellow came in for a landing on the ice. It was so fun to see them navigating the ice.

Specific Feedback

Any comments. I know it has a blue cast, but the bird is nicely lit by the rising sun. I think this looks like what I saw, but let me know what you think.

Technical Details

485mm, 1/2000 sec @ f/7.1, ISO 1000

Gorgeous, David. I love going out when the refuges are still frozen over-you can get some really unique images and this one certainly demonstrates that. Great wing position and timing and the light is awesome.

The bluish color is perfect here – and I am green with jealousy!! Fantastic pose, capture and treatment!! I had to look up ice… The only ones I’ve ever seen were sitting in muddy cornfield stubble, about 100 years away.

@Dennis_Plank and @Diane_Miller thanks for the kind comments. Much appreciated. I had a wonderful time in this blue landscape. Diane, not sure what you mean by the ice comment…no worries though.

Just being a smartass. We don’t have much ice down here, except at Happy Hour.

Ha! Yeah ice is a foreign concept to some except at the bottom of a glass. The river out back is melting though after having frozen over. It will be all liquid again in a week or so as we get into the 40s.

This swan looks amazing. The wings are just so perfect in their position and I love the one foot out in front. The light is to die for. Lickable as I say. The blue looks just cold enough to give us the impression of winter, but not so over the top as some would take it. Lovely catch and a magnificent bird.

1 Like

Hi David, love the open wing landing position and the blue space all around. Well seen and composed.

1 Like

Thanks, Kris. I really appreciate your comments.

Best,
David