Tamanawas Falls in Winter

Original Post

Re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Tamanawas Falls is on the northeast flank of Mt. Hood in NW Oregon. It is a popular hike year around. Even in winter, the trail gets enough traffic that snowshoes are not required, but micro spikes are essential on the steep icy sections. We planned a visit there just after a late January snowstorm. We were rewarded with this gorgeous winter vista.

Specific Feedback

All feedback welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon D850, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8, 0.4 sec, f/16, ISO 31, no filters. In ACR I worked on the tonality to attempt to increase some of the detail in the snow (difficult in the flat overcast light). The waterfall and the area behind it are darker than the foreground snow, and I used a curves adjustment that was painted in selectively to brighten these areas a bit. I added a clarity layer using TK panels to enhance texture of the snow, the rock wall, and the icicles. Finally, I added a B&W layer in PS, adjusting the cyan to enhance detail in the surface of the snow, and added a slight blue tint to tone the image.

This is a very nice image that really conveys a feeling of cold, both through the subject matter and the slight blue toning. The only suggestion I might make is to tone down the very bright area of sky right above the waterfall. I think it pulls the viewers eye out of the photo.

1 Like

@WillR Thanks for your comment. That bright patch of sky above the top of the waterfall is a problem, no doubt. I tried burning in the surrounding cliff and trees, and brightening the waterfall a bit.

1 Like

I like the new version, in particular the brighter waterfall. i think it makes the bright spot at the top flow into the image.

1 Like