North Silver Falls

Winter in the Oregon Cascades…
Taken yesterday under the falls. Winter landscapes below the snow line are interesting to make.
It is wet and gloomy in the Northwest and most all foliage is gone till spring but it is still
nice to get out and there are still nice scenes in the temperate rain forest.
20mm, f8
Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Dan, this is a very pleasing scene. I never would have guessed that it was taken in winter unless you had mentioned it. I like the composition very much, the way you arranged the elements here it has a nice flow from left to right. The processing looks spot on to me, color and contrast look good.

The only thing that I’m debating is the roof of the “cave” at the top of the image. I think I would like to either see a little more of it (it gets very thin to the right of the falls), or see it cropped away. I like the idea of using it as a frame, so I think it would be better if you could show a bit more of it.

The WB is perfect here. We often cool these images because the cyan greens are so captivating. But I think that’s often a mistake.

I sort of agree with Ed’s comments about the overhang. I just don’t think there is enough texture up there to make it interesting. In order to add more ceiling I think it needs to be more compelling. However, if you crop out the ceiling the image becomes more ordinary so it is adding something to the scene.

Dan,

Ok, I’m from California, so not one that should comment on weather… but not sure you’ll get too many sympathy votes on “winter in Oregon Cascades…” :roll_eyes::smile: JK.

Beautiful scene and image and again, hard pressed to think this is winter. First thought echo’s Ed’s comments. One of those situations where it’s right on the border between needing to include more, or none at all. Like Igor, I think keeping the roof makes for a much more interesting pov and really a better sense of depth. Just wish there was a bit more to help define the ceiling. Otherwise, colors and processing look great.

Lon

ps. I do think opening up the larger view is a much better experience where the ceiling does reveal a bit more.

Being able to photograph such vibrant scenes in the winter has to be one of the best parts of being in the Pacific Northwest this time of year!

Regarding the overhang at the top, I agree with the other comments. As is, I think it is a bit too thin and pulls my eye out of the frame rather than keeping it in. I think it might work better if there was more, especially at the thin point over the waterfall. My only other tiny comment is that the waterfall itself appears to have a bit of a color cast when viewing on my monitor and fringing right where it meets the overhang. If you see the same things on your screen, you might consider addressing both of those small issues. Otherwise, this is a lovely photo of a beautiful scene.