Tangled

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This unexpected subject was among a large group of similar stunted trees. It is Kangaroo Island in Australia.

Specific Feedback

B&W best shows the texture and brittle tangled nature of the tree. The geometry here appealed as well. How does the image appeal as an intimate landscape?

Technical Details

Nikon D500 hand held - no time for tripod here.

Well it appeals a little. I see why you stopped for it and wonder how I’d have handled this situation since I’d have stopped, too. Maybe coming in closer to some of the branches would help give us a more distinct subject. As it is, I keep getting stuck on the branch sticking up on the far right. Did you try isolating any branches either against the sky or the ground? That might work.

Thanks for responding to this image, Kris. Spending more time there, getting closer, and trying different points of view would have been nice. I was rushed by our guide who wanted to leave the area. I fully agree about the branch at the right too. I haven’t seen your post from Norway yet. How was the trip?