Tarn Impressions

A popular spot in Acadia NP.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D800, 80-200 @200, .7 sec @ f/22, ISO 100

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

The colours and lines of the reeds work well for me here. No nits from me.

Mike,
Popular spot indeed. As you well know; if the conditions are right; you can come away with some amazing autumn color reflected in the waters of The Tarn. I am enjoying all of the intimate details of the individual reeds and lily pads in the large version. Having seen numerous images from this spot I think what sets this image apart from a lot of others is the reflections of the reeds along the top edge. Most photographers; myself included; include the reeds along with the reflection. Beautifully done!

Lovely. Relaxing, but not boring. I wish I had this in my living room. The colors and patterns of the background are luscious. The reeds and Water Lillies add texture. Very nicely seen and photographed.

Just amazing how this image is subdued and exciting at once. I heartily agree with the others.
For me, the light color in the lily pads is very close to white. I like their color saturated to be more green.

Wow, gorgeous. The colors are stunning and the light lily pads are almost surreal. And I love the fringe of reed reflections along the top.

Both real and abstract. I always like that. The light, color, and saturation look just right to me. My only thought might be maybe experimenting with vignette to see if it adds anything.

Thanks @Dick_Knudson, @Tony_Kuyper, @Chris_Baird, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Ed_Lowe, @Nathan_Klein.
@Ed_Lowe, the reeds were there LOL, I just cropped them off in post.
@Dick_Knudson, the light reflected off the mountainside is just so bright. If I underexpose to make the greens more natural, the brown reflected trees turn into ugly blobs.

I figured it was something like that. In Photoshop, I selected on that color range, and then increased saturation with Hue/Saturation layer and you have a choice of color density.

Michael,

This is a unique take on a highly photographed location. I also made a stop here and understand the attraction. I wish I had made this one! I love your handling of the color and the uniform pattern is really well balanced. Beautiful work!

I agree with @Ed_Lowe, about making the reeds a supporting character rather than the main subject like most people do at this location. Having shot here numerous times myself, it’s refreshing to see a different take on a familiar place.

I like the greens as presented, the delicate pastel colors of this scene enhance it’s calm and soothing mood. I think adding more contrast to the greens would change mood, I’m not sure that’s where I would take this.

Thanks @Alan_Kreyger, @Ed_McGuirk. @Ed_McGuirk, as I responded to my brother, I wasn’t actually creative enough to see this composition in the field. I cropped the grasses of in post.

I agree with Tony; this is both realistic and abstract at the same time. It’s gorgeous. Right up there as one of the best images of pond reflections I’ve seen. I really like images of ponds and reeds and grasses and color reflections like this, and I do them all the time.
This is superbly done. Bravo!

I agree with most comments - a really beautiful image with just the right amount of saturation, and having the reeds across the top making them a part of (and adding to) the “abstract” nature of the photo. The degree of luminance on the lily pads is perfect both from the point of view of the pads themselves but in how they set off the reflections which surround them. Lots of other details too. Superb image!

Excellent! I might experiment with cloning out the lily pads along the very top edge, but minor stuff. Beautiful image.

Thanks @Harley_Goldman, @philip1, @GennyK. Excellent suggestion @Harley_Goldman. I did not notice them. Need to check my edges more.

Not a thing to add except, absolutely stunning. The colour palette and composition - gorgeous. Print it!!

This is a beautiful capture Michael. All of the different layers (color, reeds and water lillies) add interest throughout the frame. The color looks great to my eye. Very nice abstract composition!

So beautiful and I could easily see this as a print. I might add some green shadow but great as is. Was this a panoramic or a crop? The aspect ratio seems a bit different than standard.

Thanks @Kerry_Gordon, @Richard_Wong, @Brian_Schrayer. Richard this was standard 3:2. I cropped in post.

1 Like