Tertiary and Complementary

Hi Folks,
What a wonderful challenge this week. I found myself obsessing over violet and yellow and purple and orange and green and red. Finally, I decided this was a more tertiary approach. It’s mostly just color and line so I figured it might not fit a lot of other challenges soon. I’m also not sure whether it has any appeal. Regardless, being there was fun :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This was a woefully overcast day in the Palouse, so none of those wonderfully puffy clouds sailing across the hills creating light and shadow. I’m not sure what would make it pop more, or whether it’s worth continuing to work on it. I like the tertiary compliments of a chartreusish green and brownish purple, but is there anything else that is interesting about it?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I am always eager for ideas on composition. I struggle mightily with that, as well as knowing when to stop processing and fiddling, or when to start from scratch.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single image processed in LR CC

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful lines and colors. I quite like it, as it presents a really nice abstract look. Extremely minor, but I would clone out the dirt patch (?) almost center at the top of the green field (middle of the image).

Marylynne, in my experience the limited dynamic range of the capture on an overcast day often results in some dramatic colors if you expand the dynamic range in processing. It looks that has happened here with the greens of the young growth and the hint of purple in the harvested field. I think there’s plenty of pop here. The pano crop fits very well with the flowing lines of the hills.

Marylynne, this is a fine entry for the WC theme. I also like the additional abstract look and feel to the scene. I think the drab lighting helps support the color array overall…:+1:

It looks like there was sufficient directional light sneaking through the overcast to show some nice relief, Marylynne. This is certainly not a pair I would have thought of-I obviously need to study color theory in more depth. I like this a lot, though my eye wishes there were a bit more green above the brown.

Beautifully balanced colours and a powerfully abstract feel that emphasises the nature of the landscape

While not a “wow in your face” image, it certainly appeals to me and probably many others. I find these lower saturated images pleasant to look at.:vulcan_salute: