Tetons Moose

Nikon D 500 Nikon 200-500 ISO 1000 F5.6 1/160th. No crop

This moose was feeding in a pond at the end of the day. I liked the sidelighting and the way it hit the water cascading off the moose’s nose. As you can tell he just pulled his head out of the water. Note the water line on the nose.

This image was over exposed but I was able to bring it back so it looks good. I find it interesting that the over exposed images had less noise then those taken minutes later properly exposed. Is there a fine line when over exposing in low light is the way to go ? We can bring back the details in post processing and have less noise too. Anyone else found this to be true ?

Comments on the image and the over exposed processing welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Andrew. I think that’s what the whole “expose to the right” movement is all about. The more exposure (as long as you don’t blow it out completely) the higher the signal to noise ratio you have. Given the scene you were photographing here, the only thing you were going to blow out was some of the brightest water areas and those don’t have a whole lot of detail to lose, so it allowed you to go pretty bright. If you were photographing an egret, you’d have to be a lot more careful and chickadees are a real pain!

I like the composition of this image and the nice depth of field that shows off the habitat. The proverbial truculent look of the moose is a nice touch as well.

I agree with Dennis on ‘exposure to the right’, it always helps controlling the noise. Like the moment you captured, cascading water and ripples are adding lots of interest to the image.