Texas 34

My last photo trip fall colors in the south.
I originally rejected this image because the Egret was looking off the frame. But now I like that it throws the scene off balance.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and All
I know the image is soft and the foliage is over-saturated, but I like it that way.

Technical Details

Lumix S5

5 Likes

Wow, what a scene. Yes, it would be great if that bird was looking left into the scene, but it still works wonderfully. Nicely done. The softness adds to the image, I agree.

Stunning image, Steve. Beautifully processed. As for the egret, well, at least it is in the tree. Honestly would nor have noticed which way it looked. Well done!

Oh nice. Reminds me of a similar scene I shot in 2020 when I was doing a fall cypress workshop only my bird was a heron. Processing is good although I do wonder at how bright the egret is in the scene compared to the rest. Is this an enormous crop?

Thanks everyone
Kristen the image was very early AM the Egret being white and everything else being dark, made the DR way off the bird was totally blown out. I tried to burn it in only work a little before going bad. Writing this I may have bracketed this shot I will try a blend if I have a darkened exposure.

I actually don’t mind that the bird is looking out of the frame. I think it adds a bit of mystery to the story and makes me wonder the bird is looking at. :slight_smile:

I like the color and soft effect particularly in the background where it gives depth. I’ve tried to tell birds to turn around but they never listen.

Steve,

It is a haunting scene. I love how you have spotlighted the cypress with the those glowing red colors and allowed the FG and BG to drop off into shadows. Really well done work.

Thanks Everyone
@Kris_Smith @Tom_Nevesely @Youssef_Ismail @Matt_Payne @Richard_Duckworth @J_Fritz_Rumpf
I just discovered the Luminar Neo HDR extension. It

helped with the DR of the Egret to the rest of the scene.
What do you think?

2 Likes

I love this photo. The rework helps w dynamic range on the egret but I liked seeing more of the tree on the original. But in both cases what a great shot of such a primordial tree. As someone who has never seen a cypress swamp this is truly stunning.

@CharlesV
See if you like this better.
I grew up in south Florida and the Cypress trees did not do fall colors. This is the largest Bald Cypress forest in the US (northern Texas). The color is only around for a few weeks a year.

I find the original stunningly gorgeous and the bird looking off right just powerful. Nice work.

That is nice - the warmer tones and greater contrast suit the image and I like that you can see the whole tree. Another location to add to the “maybe one day” list!

I too like the softness of this and don’t mind the birds position as is, just appears a bit stuck up.

What a fantastic scene!! I think the DR of the original is fine – it would have been a challenge for sure. I think there is a bit of a story that the bird is looking out of the scene – maybe not the ideal but certainly not a flaw to me. There are many great images that work because of a tiny “flaw” (or surprise?) somewhere.

My only issue with the original is to wish the branch exiting the UR was a little less bright, but I wouldn’t burn down everything around it – just the branch, very subtly.

The other versions are a very nice exploration, but for me the second-to-last has more dark vignette than it needs. The last one is very dramatic and I would never be able to decide where the sweet spot might be between it and the original. When you decide, it is well worth a big print!