Texas Heron 08

Re-work

Re-work 2

Continuing to process from recent Texas Swamp trip.
Great Blues are such supermodels they need agents.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and All craft or content

Technical Details

Lumix S5 sunset

Steve, I like this a lot. The thing that caught my eye is the contrast between the warm tones in the leaves and ground and the cooler tones in the tree trunks and background.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of avian images showcasing the environment. This is a great example of it.

Nice composition that seems to fit the environment and circumstances (from what we can see in the image).

Overall, it feels pretty dark. I looked at the image in PS and the histogram seems shifted very heavily to the dark tones. I played a bit and worked on selected tonal ranges and it feels better to me brightened up.

Thanks @Keith_Bauer and @Richard_Duckworth
This image was taken at sunset in a dark swamp. I did a rework to brighten up the overall image.
I like the darker version better for the mood I experienced. The darker image seems to give the Heron more separation.
your thoughts
Thanks
Steve
PS I printed this image on matt paper and brightened it up similar to the rework and it looks fine.
looking at the two together on screen I am changing my mind.

I think the rework is too bright. Somewhere in between, but not just overall exposure changes. Targeting midtones and some highlights I think is in order to preserve the mood, yet make the image brighter.

@Keith_Bauer
I cooled it off and created a mask for the bird. I brightened the Heron.
Your thoughts
Again thanks for your time
Steve

Here is a quick version where I targeted midtones via a luminosity mask, did some selective desaturation/vibrance of some colors that felt a bit overpowering and worked a few areas with targeted dodging / burning.

See what you think.

1 Like

Thank you very much @Keith_Bauer
I did not mean to take so much of your time.
Darkening the edges works great Bring back the warmth is better for sure.
Thanks again
Steve

What a great scene and the heron is a bonus. Can’t help thinking it would make for a challenging puzzle.

1 Like

Hi Steve
I have looked at a number of your photographs and would like to know what photo processing software you are using. The over all look, lines up nicely with your landscapes. Maybe a little over the top for bird?
Peter

1 Like