Great Blue Heron

I took the image of this heron back in the summer of 2016 and I’ve been playing with it ever since. I posted it in Avian shortly after I took it. It happened to pop up on my rolling desktop background yesterday and it occurred to me that it might look better with smoother water. This afternoon I stole some water from a recent image, then completely reprocessed the heron using luminosity masks to bring up the darker areas.

I started to get fancy and use some art filters on the bird as well, but nothing seemed to work, so I left it at that.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

How’s the merge of the water and land?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does it work?

Any pertinent technical details:

Heron with a 7DII and Sigma 150-600 mm, Water with a 5DII and Canon 70-200 f/4.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Dennis, I think the merge, in general, works, but the far left side of the merge looks a bit strange to me. Not sure why, but it gets my attention. The merge could also be a bit less defined. Otherwise, I really like this. I love the light on the heron and its position in the frame.

Beautiful look at a heron in flight. I like the overall mood of the scene with the dark water and sky and the light on the heron, but feel that the cloudy area on the left competes with the heron for attention and detracts from the overall mood.

I think it works as a fantasy image and the processing is nice… I would tone down the highlights a bit.
Cover art for a book???

Beautiful image - great to see you venturing into PA !
I’d like to see the heron a bit separated from the left clouds. The light on it is beautiful.
Sandy