Tri-colored Heron

Another one from an extended stay in Rockport, Texas back in 2017. I checked on line, and they’re back in business pretty well after Hurricane Harvey in the fall of 2017. I’d been looking for camouflage entries for the weekly challenge and was surprised at how much from that trip I’d never processed, so I’ve been browsing through it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. All I did on this one was crop and adjust exposure levels.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything. This was originally a horizontal, but I was in a very awkward position lying on the boardwalk and had the right 1/4 of the image blocked by a railing. After eliminating that, the vertical format seemed to work better.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 388 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/1000, iso 800, aperture priority, -1/3 EV. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a horizontal to a 2958x3462 vertical. Taken March 28, 2017 at 9:11 am.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Well composed with excellent color contrast. I like the pose. It does need to be seen large so one gets a good look at the head and preening. The only thing I would do was clone out the black twig sticking just above the water surface below the green reads on the right side and perhaps those at the very bottom of the frame. At first I thought you shot this locally but then I remembered your trip to Texas.

Dennis, what a nice shot. I am so glad that you went back and found this one. I love the nice green background of his environment. What a position he got himself into. Great timing.

You could have titled this “the contortionist”. A different pose and good detail. I like the green, reedy background and the water with the reflections. Nice.

The only thing that is somewhat jarring is the horizontal blade above the bird, Dennis, but other than that I really like everything else about this image. The bird’s placement on the LR corner is quite interesting.

Hi Dennis
This is a Rorschach test right. I had go to large view to figure out it was a Heron and what it was doing. Yes this is a good camouflage challenge. Il also is a vary nice photograph.
Peter