The #3

When this scene originally caught my eye I was not entirely sure that I liked it enough to trip the shutter. There was something there that intrigued me, but I could not put my finger on it as there were things that I liked and things that I did not. Even though I was not entirely sold I decided to shoot it and try to figure it out when I got home.

When I got home and opened the image on the desktop I started playing around with different crops. That is when I noticed what must have caught my eye on some subconscious level. Just to be sure I asked my daughter if she noticed the #3 in the image and she picked it out right away. So long story short is I must have noticed the three distinct bands of yellow, green and red and tied it together with the #3 shape in the leaves.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
NikonD800, Nikon 80-200 @125 mm, f16 @1/40 sec, ISO 800, CPL, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Another great image, Ed. The colors are exaggerated but this is art not reality. The greenish tree trunks don’t bother me at all.

Gotta love those red maples. I’m not sure I would have seen the 3 on my own, but now I can’t un-see it. I love the green lichen on the trees, it creates some nice color contrast against the red leaves. The comp is nicely balanced in my opinion, having the tree trunks in the center makes it so neither the yellow nor red leaves dominate too much. The color is strong, but the leaves appear to be wet, so I’m good with that, it was done for creative effect. This is sort of how Velvia 50 used to look for color and contrast, and I mean that in a good way. Nice intimate scene, well done.

Gorgeous colors and a charming intimate landscape. I see a heart (or maybe a Barn Owl’s face) in the green leaves in front of the trunks.

I think I see the three, but it took me a while. Regardless, this is striking! The strong reds are balanced by the remainder of the frame, and the tree trunks ground it. I like the greenish tree trunks, as it speaks to the climate.

Excellent blast of color, Ed. I really like the zones of color. I might play with lightening the dark zone lower right, but not sure it would be an improvement. I find it is a slight eye magnet but it is very minor for me. Very nicely done.

I think this is simply gorgeous, Ed. Everything works beautifully for me, here.

Nice one, Ed. Sorry I didn’t spend more time trying to work this scene. Everything works here, the colors, the trees, the leaves, the comp. My only small nit is the empty space between the red leaves. Very minor.

I really like this Ed. I don’t know if I would have seen the 3 without your comment, but I definitely do see it now. I like the pano crop here, and I like the rainy day feel to the image. Glad you decided to capture this!