The Big Freeze

This one is from the archives of the Big Elk River at sunset. It had been so cold for so long that we were able to walk out on the ice without having to worry about falling through. While walking around looking for some FG elements I spotted these circles of ice and was immediately intrigued by how they were formed. I am assuming there was some circular movement of the ice as it was forming before it completely froze with the bitter cold temperatures.

I still remember how cold it was as the temperatures were well below 0 degrees with the wind chill. Mike and I could only stand it for 15-20 minutes before we had to call it quits and head back to my daughter’s house to thaw out. I actually had a little frostbite on one of my fingers on my right hand and I have to say I hope it never happens again.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave your thoughts.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 28mm, f 18 @ 1/15 sec, MLU, cable release & tripod.

2 Likes

There is definitely a sense of cold here, a northern cold. Even before reading this I wondered what those patterns in the ice were. I’m wondering if additional contrast can make those patterns more prominent. Sometimes shooting just a bit earlier can get that last bit of sunlight to rake the surface of the ice and add texture and color.

1 Like

Wow – a frozen river and fire in the sky!! I love the composition and the feeling of distance to the far shore. Fascinating patterns in the ice. I can’t imagine being out in temperatures like that!

I also can’t imagine walking out that close to open water. I’m still spooked by an episode years ago, ice skating with friends (and a few dozen other folks) on a frozen lake in Germany. Some teenagers were horsing around close to shore and one of them fell through a thin spot! (He was quickly rescued and hustled to a restaurant on the shore.)

1 Like

Really nice scene and you captured it perfectly, Ed. Well done.

1 Like

I’m getting cold just thinking about this Ed. Great reflection on the ice. Very pretty scene.

1 Like

What a neat find in the ice patterns Ed. Finding a foreground for nice sunset color is always the trick, and this ice makes for a nice foreground. The sunset colors look vibrant but not oversaturated. In terms of composition I like how the orb shaped ice patterns have a strong diagonal look. I have seen similar ice patterns created by tides along the seacoast, is the Elk a tidal river?

I think some dodging of lighter tones thru LM’s could help bring the ice patterns abit more, and I would also very slightly dodge the highlights in the band of water between the two ice floes.

1 Like

Great shot, Ed. I love the warm/cool colors and the diagonal flow of the ice patterns. You get extra points for braving the cold weather. :grin:

1 Like

Ed, what a great mix of cold and warm. It’s definitely a chilly view, while the sunset is so inviting. Those two ice vortices are excellent and rare foreground elements. I’m wondering if they aren’t the result of freezing from the opposite sides towards the center (deeper water) with some wave action to build up the ridges, since the ridges look to be pointing inward.

1 Like

Many thanks to @Igor_Doncov, @Diane_Miller, @David_Bostock, @David_Haynes, @Ed_McGuirk, @Michael_Lowe and @Mark_Seaver for taking a moment to leave for thoughts as they are always appreciated. Here is a repost with your suggestions; hopefully I didn’t go to far with dodging the ice.

@Ed_McGuirk: I had not thought of that, but yes the Big Elk River is a tidal river.
@Mark_Seaver: Thanks for your thoughts on the formation of the ice patterns as that makes perfect sense.

This is much much better Ed. Since snow is white naturally I think this amount of dodging still leaves it looking natural.

1 Like

I just love how you can totally feel the cold in this image even though there are those beautiful warm colours in the sky. In fact, I’m starting to feel cold right now and may need to put on a sweater.

Great job with this!

1 Like

Thanks so much @Tom_Nevesely; glad you enjoyed the image.