Big Elk River Sunset

This was without a doubt the coldest I have ever been. this was during the big freeze in January. If memory serves me correctly it was well below 0 with the wind chill factored in. It did not help matters that I had forgotten to bring my silk liner gloves so that when I pulled the flap back on my mittens my fingers were exposed. I could not keep my fingers out for very long and fortunately only had one finger with some frostbite. I think that my brother and I were only outside for 15-20 minutes as that is all we could stand.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 28 mm, f 18 @ 1/15 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

A beautiful sunset and some interesting formations in the foreground, Ed! It looks like it could be frozen mud but actually looks almost like lava. I’m very familiar with shooting in extremely cold weather and have become quite adept at operating the camera with thick, insulated gloves on :slight_smile:

This is a compelling image Ed, though my perception was not slanted to cold when I saw it. My immediate reaction was the mud flats around Anchorage, but summer sunset do to the lack of big ice chunks. Even the distant shoreline looks right for Anchorage!

Ed, my favorite part of this fine view is the foreground. The lines and shapes are great. The big sweep of water and sky adds some fine colorful interest even as it adds the sense of great distances. A fine mix of near and far.

Real nice image. Ed. I hope it was worth the frostbite!! :slight_smile: That is too damn cold. Good depth to the scene, good foreground and nice sky all come together.

Ed: I remember this and like it a lot. The combination of elements and the comp are very pleasing. Kudos for your effort and result.>=))>

Ed, along with this wonderful photo is your excellent story surrounding the outing. The scene is a great look of the area during dead of winter. The contrast from the frozen FG to the warmth on the distant horizon leaves hope for a clearer day ahead.
Reading the story word for word sounded like what my brother Tom and I were saying about our trip to Dead Horse Point Overlook in Utah one year. I spent 2 years in extreme weather in all points of Alaska. I was cold many times, but nothing prepared me for that outing in Utah. The pain in my hands and fingers was unrealistic. Like you, I pushed through it and made the keeper, but it left my brother and I with a story to share forever too.

Lovely leading lines and a great sunset, Ed. Well done.

Thanks for your thoughts guys @Gary_Minish, @Hank_Pennington, @Mark_Seaver, @Harley_Goldman, @Bill_Fach and @Paul_Breitkreuz: always appreciated. We were actually standing out on the ice covering the river. The FG formations were caused by the ice and snow piling up.
@Harley_Goldman : Yes it was worth the frostbite as I did get a few keepers.:smiley:
@Paul_Breitkreuz : Glad you enjoyed the narrative. Our stories do sound remarkably alike.:+1: