The corn field

Yesterday am, I found myself hiking a paved trail that ran roughly parallel to the Mississippi River and maybe 100 yds off it. In between me and the river was some fairly dense ‘woodlands’. And it was in that woodlands area I had originally anticipated finding images that might fit nicely into an ongoing series/project.

Interestingly enough, it was on the opposite side of that paved trail where I found this image. There was a rather large corn field on my right (opposite side of the trail from the woodlands) that was fairly well shaded by the tree line on left. But despite the heavy shade, there were slivers of light that managed to peek through the trees and light up small areas in the corn field. And the dynamic range between the shaded areas and those spot lit by the slivers of light occasionally finding their way to the corn field caught my attention. So, I just kept walking along that trail as long as my digits could stand and found a couple more with a similar vibe.

Specific Feedback Requested

Whatever members choose to share.

Technical Details

It is a composite image…one ‘straight’ image of the scene in combination with one where ICM was employed. As I was experimenting with a variety of movements during the session, so hesitate to say exactly which one was used for this image. But just looking at it, I’m inclined to think it was largely a straight vertical swipe. And if memory serves, it was a 4 sec shutter speed.

3 Likes

Excellent. No critique from me.
Would be nice to know details…

Great image, RJ. Like it a lot. The colors and the and light are great, and so is the composition. I also like that you have an almost black BG. I am also interested in the technique you used for this image. To me it looks like you have used some camera movement.

Oops…, I neglected to include the ‘technical details’ originally, but have edited the post and inserted them now.

Excellent work RJ! YOu’ve done a great job with the colors and keeping things from getting wonky (banding, etc.).

So a composite with a straight and then ICM image at like 4s. Very cool! I don’t know, but wonder what the opacity was of each layer and/or what blending mode, if any, for the layers. The end result is quite fascinating and I like how it fades to black as well.

Excellent!

Lon

Thanks, Lon. Much appreciate the kind comment!

The ‘straight’ image was utilized as the background layer in the composite and the ICM shot overlayed it. Though I typically do at least play around with layer blend modes, the couple I tried for this shot didn’t provide any add’l value to my eye. So, the ICM layer was just Normal blend mode at…82-3ish opacity.