The Dark

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

D3400 55-200mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

An interesting take on this bird, Michael. While very diurnal, there is a cultural association with darkness, so I find the treatment quite appropriate. I do wish you’d managed to include all of the feet-it feels a bit odd with them chopped off where they are.

Thanks Dennis, I noticed the feet, I only wish I had noticed when I shot the photo :slightly_frowning_face:

I know. I shoot mostly birds and I still find myself clipping off tails and feet on a regular basis.

I shoot people also and sometimes cut off there heads :joy:

I also find the treatment working for me here. I do wonder though what’s the brighter patch on the UL corner there. Where was this taken, Michael? That might give some context about the image as well.

The dark approach here is appropriate for this vulture. I might try to lighten up face little bit and increase the contrast. I might also clone way too thin branches coming off the top center of the bird. I think the other branches are just fine.

thanks Adhika, the photo was taken at the Dallas zoo.

thanks for the comment David