The Dawning

This was the last morning of a four day solo trip to Death Valley. I lucked out in having the dunes completely to myself for most of the trip, which allowed me to work different compositions without any distractions. On this particular day, the soft morning light created some an amazing play of lights and shadows.

Specific Feedback Requested

Sometimes when we like a photo, we do not see its shortcomings. I do like this photo, and really would appreciate any and all feedback that would challenge me to look at it from different angles.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D850, 70 mm (70-200mm), 1/125 sec, ISO 125, f/14

@fritzrumpf
2 Likes

The weekly challenge is bringing out some of the best images I’ve seen on NPN, and this is no exception. Beautiful. How fortunate to have the area to yourself.

I really like the light and shadows and the neat textures on the sand. It looks like you’re in a mountain range. Beautiful capture!

Consider my jaw dropped. Such a deep, rich landscape. Your processing did it justice.

I’m getting seasick from the back and forth waves here… :laughing:. Then you’ve got the last dune for some stability. This is outstanding.

This is quite appealing. I appreciate the foreground curves and the processing is quite nice. If it were my image - and it’s not - I would have attempted to leave some tonality above the horizon line. Maybe there were distractions there and you had to burn them out. Don’t know. Thanks for posting.

Thanks, Mark. I will try the horizon line a bit brighter. I know I burned that area on purpose, since, at least to my eyes, the textures and patterns in the mountain range distracted to much from the patterns in the dunes. Will try a happy medium though. Thank you for your input.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I quite like this image, and willing to try any changes that might take it up a notch. :slight_smile:

Beautiful image, feels like I could walk around inside it. My only suggestion, and feel free to ignore it, would to be slightly reduce the highlights of the brighter portion of the front dune so that my eye after wandering around the image rests upon the central dune.

1 Like

Thank you, Anthony. I was trying to find a happy medium there; good to have a fresh set of eyes. Toned it down, and I like it betters well. thank you for the feedback.