The Descent

Darker version

Unprocessed/uncropped

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I feel a little awkward asking for help on another image, but hey, isn’t that why we all joined up on this site? Anyway, I was playing at the beach in Amelia Island, FL, a few weeks ago. It was gray and windy. I saw a some sea gulls hunkered down. But a few would do a short flight. Got only one or two of them since they really didn’t move much. I used a little ICM on this one bird as it descended.

Specific Feedback

I am mostly leaning towards the lighter, wispier version that just hints at the wings. Though, the darker gives more details which I also like. The last image is the unprocessed and uncropped version. I have another crop but don’t like it as much.

Technical Details

Canon R
ISO: 100
SS: 1/20 sec
f/20
100-400mm at 400mm

I really like the darker version for feather defination, the general brightness(?) gives an ethereal feeling.

1 Like

Hi Patrick, great having you here on NPN! This is a cool abstract image. I prefer the high key image as it gives hints of the subject while still retaining some abstract qualities. Great job capturing the wing position.

1 Like

Cool way to make the best of a less than great situation! I prefer the lighter image. The ‘hint’ of wings was what drew me to open this post. I found the background (water?) to be too distracting in the darker image because it cut through the wings. Thank you for posting the original too. Took me a moment, but I actually kind of like that you can see the grounded seagulls as well.

1 Like

I love this image, Patrick. Another vote for the feel of the lighter version, though like you, I also like the darker version for the greater definition. I think your crop is excellent as it concentrates on the important part of the scene.

You might even play with bringing the darkest areas up a bit more in the lighter version to give it an even more ethereal feel.

1 Like

Patrick, such a unique image! I prefer the the lighter high crop image as it invokes more mystery, which works well with the general aesthetic and lack of detail. Honestly, the fact that there were other birds in the image didn’t even register with me until I saw the uncropped version. Impressive job combining ICM and BIF!

2 Likes

Patrick,

OH MY! This is phenomenal! Love this capture! The first post for me is the best, and thanks for including the broader original.

There is just something ethereal, mystical about this. It’s fairly clear what this is, but the motion, tonality and soft contrast really make this a wonderful image.

I could have this hanging on my wall and never tire of looking at it.

The darker one is cool too, although I think the emotional impact/reaction is lost a little.

If I hadn’t already, welcome to NPN! Great to have you here!

Lon

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker , @Ron_Meeker , @Dennis_Plank , @Denise_Dethlefsen , @Alfredo_Mora , @teri3 thanks very much for your feedback. Having a few days away from this, has also helped. I played a little more with the lighter version and darkened down the wings a little more. It added the details without adding the distraction of the water in the background. And gave a little more definition to the wings. Thanks.

If you’re up to trying something perhaps a bit radical, I think it might be interesting to try cropping a fair amount off the bottom…to perhaps right about the top of the bird’s head. The idea would be to leave just the wings and have more of just an abstract remain.

The above occurred to me because everything below the ‘main’ bird doesn’t seem to add anything except maybe a bit of confusion to the image…for me at least.

@rjWilner , yes, the idea crossed my mind for the same reason you have. I did try it again. And it can lose some of the bottom, but I think when I crop too much more it looks off balance. And when I did even tighter to above the head to have just the wings, it lost the flow through the image. Interestingly, I cropped for an even more dramatic horz, and that almost works. Thanks for noticing and for the idea. Always worth a try.

1 Like

Very Powerful Photograph !!! The darker is my favorite BUT both really say something. Really nice !!!

1 Like

This is a great emotional image. I prefer the high-key version. It has a very ethereal emotional response.
Steve

1 Like