The Unknown One

Normally I delete images of birds flying away from me. For some reason, something possessed me and I found myself zeroing in on just this one part of the entire Tern. I ended up really liking this crop…the mystery that the wings covering the face provide.

Specific Feedback Requested

What do you think of this kind of composition, and the softness? This is definitely something different from what I’ve ever done.

This was cropped from 5616x3744 down to just 740x493! So the image quality isn’t great when viewed big.

Technical Details

Sony A1 (borrowed), 200-600 lens, 600mm at f/10, 1/200 second, ISO 125.

Saturation and vibrancy in Lightroom, and some Orton effect to give it some glow.

1 Like

I like the mystery. Cool shot. The guy’s got a nice background to be in front of.

1 Like

This has something of an abstract feel. I like it.

1 Like

I echo Dave about the mysterious quality this has. There is some noise - looks like color noise in the shot that might be fixed, but it’s not a deal-breaker. This shot to me speaks to the lightness of a bird in flight and our wonder and envy of that ability, but also to the predatory aspect of many birds. The beak, the eyes, the stealth attack - all evolved to keep them alive. Compelling shot!

1 Like

I really like this Mark! Very unique and compelling comp! I like the softness in the wing but a bit more sharpness in the beak would add more “danger” feel to it IMHO.

1 Like

I also like this, Mark. A unique and interesting composition and I’ve always been a sucker for half hidden subjects. You might try using one of the enlargement packages to see if you can get more detail. I’m not experienced enough with them to know whether to do it before processing or after, but I’m sure there are lots of opinions on the web.

1 Like

I like this a lot Mark. It may not be for everyone but it’s sure working well for me. The crop I don’t think matters much as the shot has movement anyway so this isn’t he type of image most people would even bother pixel peeping over. It’s the abstract nature that is alluring. The colors of the background are terrific. I like how it fades from dark to light across the scene. Great creative thinking to come up with this Mark.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your comments and ideas for improvement. @Dennis_Plank , I’ve been thinking of enlargement software for a while. I think Topaz has one. It could help with the color noise @Kris_Smith mentioned and maybe some sharpness too.