The edge

Hosta leaves offer themselves for countless portraits. So many varieties, shapes, and colorations, and then, of course there is their interplay with light. I loved the interplay with the edge here and the dark and light tones. I’ve learned a great deal on this network about how to better use focus—as I’ve said before, I’m not one that insists on ultra-sharp—and trust this image works as it is.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Sony 6000, 1/400, F/6.3, 210mm, ISO200 with adjustments to tone curves, sharpening and cropping in LR

John, this is quite a stunning composition! It is simple and elegant in its lines, and tones. It almost reminds me of an abstract of the rolling hills of the Palouse! Beautiful!

Beautiful lines and colors, John. Just one very tiny nit pick. . .in the URC there is a hint of something lighter, perhaps another leaf? Maybe just clone it out. Just a thought. Love the abstract feel. Very nicely done.

Yes, thanks for that catch; in fact, to upper and lower on right side

1 Like

John, this is really a wonderful composition. Well done!

I love this John! The comp is excellent and a bit unique. All the lines and curves work very well together. The softer focus of the leaves in back doesn’t bother me at all. Also great lighting and colors. Great job!

1 Like

Lovely composition John. I love the minimalist approach. The lines, colours, focus point, and depth of field all help to guide my eye to the main subject.

The curving lines are so sensuous. The soft focus is just fine as far as I’m concerned. The emphasis is on the lighter leaf and it is focused okay. I like the tonal variation in the leaves.

There’s nothing I don’t like about this photo, John. I very much like the softness. Many times I have soften tack shape images. Especially forest scenes.

John…a wonderful piece of art. A simple but beautiful composition….something we all seem to strive for…congratulations.