The End of the Road

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We were in Rocky Mountain National Park for the first time and driving along Trail Ridge Road. It was a little foggy at Estes Park, but the fog was getting very thick as we drove up in elevation. We stopped at this point; my husband refused to drive any further. I jumped out to take this photo of the disappearing road.
We did have a picture-perfect day at the end of our trip and got to drive Trail Ridge Road in its entirety. What a treat!!

Specific Feedback

You can barely make out the wooden fence in the mid-right. I left this fence in the photo; I liked how the fog was enveloping it. Perhaps I should have made it more prominent? I liked how the fog got thicker around the curve leading to “nothingness”. This was a B&W conversion; I am new at this technique and am happy to get critiqued on this image. I generally like contrasty B&W images, but with the thick fog I kept in softer and lighter, maybe too light though?

Technical Details

Canon 80D, EF 24-70 lens, 1/2000 sec at f/5.0
I did use the LR Denoise.

1 Like

Mary, I think you’ve handled the fog well. It shows throughout the frame, which makes the road disappearing around the corner feel just right. I also think the fence is handled well…challenging to see, but definitely there.