The Eyes Have It

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 800, 1/2000 @ f8
This is pretty local for me; about 50 feet out my front door. We have a bunch of dragon flies patrolling our garden and was fortunate to capture this guy on a decent perch. I wanted to emphasize the eyes, thus the shallow DOF. All comments welcome.>=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Bill, that is an amazing take on this dragonfly with the emphasis placed on the eye too. Nice work…:+1:

Bill this is a great look at this male Blue Dasher. The details in his head and thorax are great and the background adds some extra interest. These guys are fun to watch as several of them guard my two ponds and chase each other almost constantly.

And this guy definitely has the eyes! Nice shot, Bill. We have a lot of Dragon Flies zipping about this last couple weeks also. I haven’t tried to capture one yet but I might have to give it a go. They can be quite difficult because it’s hard to get focused on them in flight and they don’t seem to stop very often. When they do land for a moment you just get focused and before you can grab the shot they’re on their way again. I have been trying to get decent photos of some Violet Green Swallows and it’s the same story!

Gary: One thing I’ve noticed about our dragon flies is that they very often return to the same perch. I’ll find one perching and approach slowly, shooting until it flies and then just wait at that perch until it returns. I got this guy landing here several times, often with a slightly different orientation thus giving me various BGs.

Couldn’t be much more local, Bill ! Beautiful image, so sharp and clean with everything that needs to be in excellent focus.