The first ray of the sun breaks the night

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Three years ago in October I went on holidays in the Arnthal valley on the border between Italy and Austria. It is a pictoresque place high in the mountains and I really enjoyed my stay. This side of the mountain is just in front of the hotel where I stayed. At dawn the sun arrives late on the top of the mountain but when it climbes its rays are already strong and break the darkness of the shadow side.

Specific Feedback

Do you think that the shadows are too dark?

Technical Details

D 850, Nikkor 70-200mm at 70mm - f/11, 1/125s, ISO 100

My first thought looking at this was “Man, I hope those folk don’t have to bicycle to work.” :grinning:

What lovely green and blue. The way the blue nestles in the canyon adds a lot, and I love the switchbacks and the light spilling on the slope. The lower third is harder to appreciate due to being so dark.

What’s the crop growing at the bottom?

Thanks John you have answered my question, the shadows are too dark. At the bottom there is a small corn field. Thanks again.

Any better?

Hello Guiseppe. I really like the first version, except that it was a bit too dark and ‘heavy’ visually in the shadows and lower area. The second edit is much better, but what happened to the crop growing at the bottom? I rather liked that. :slight_smile: It anchored the bottom of the frame. Perhaps bringing that back into the light version will be a good compromise?

Brenda I have tried.