The Fishing Hole (w/edit)

Recropped version (3:4)

Original edit (5:7)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this shot at a small fishing access site on the outskirts of town. I’ve never fished there, but I like to go there once in a while on winter mornings to take pictures. This particular morning was foggy and very cold, and everything was covered in thick frost. When I captured the image, the fog was starting to burn off, and there was a fair amount of sunlight starting to come through. The site is not large and is kind of wedged in amongst private property, some houses, ranch land, and a major road. There is some evidence of that development in this image—a telephone pole behind the tree and some wires stretching across part of the image. I wish they weren’t there, but I’m also not too bothered by them. I did remove some small branches along the left side of the frame. I’ve also considered trying to remove the few small blades of grass in the lower right corner, but for now I’ve decided to leave them.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome.

Technical Details

70 mm, 1/125 sec, f/9, ISO 100. I made a number of lighting adjustments in Lightroom, a few small color adjustments, and added some clarity, texture, and a bit of dehaze. As mentioned above, I also removed some stray branches along the left side of the frame.

Beautiful image. The wintry tones are very pleasing and the composition is great. I also see a few other comps in the image such as this one.

2 Likes

Nice composition and beautiful misty light here John. I also like Michael’s alternative crop for a whole new image.

1 Like

@Michael_Lowe and @Ed_Williams - Thank you both for your feedback. Much appreciated! Michael, I really like the alternative crop you posted. Something for me to try the next time I’m at this spot!

How lovely! The contrast of the gentle blues and browns is beautiful. I could see taking a bit off the top - maybe a 5:7 crop?

1 Like

Thank you, @Bonnie_Lampley, for your comments! The original post actually was a 5:7 crop, but I’ve added another version with a 3:4 crop. I like them both, but seeing them side by side, I do think the shorter crop works a little better. It seems a bit more balanced to me. Thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like

@John_Kilgour, I do like the 3:4 crop. It’s amazing the difference a slightly different crop can make. The 3:4 version has more room - it feels more expansive, even though there’s less area than the original.

Beautiful soft image. Personally I do prefer the 3:4 crop. I am already starting to miss that wintery colours palette …

Thank you, @Bonnie_Lampley and @Maciej_B_Markiewicz, for your feedback and comments. Bonnie, that’s an interesting observation about the crop. I hadn’t thought of it that way, but I completely agree. Your comment has given me some ideas for cropping another image I’ve been working on.

Maciej, yes, I know what you mean about starting to miss winter. It’s my favorite time of year, but we’ve had kind of a half-hearted winter where I live. I’m still holding out hope for a snowy spring season…