The Focus

I was observing this heron for a while, amazed at its focusing ability and postures. They are patient.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I was interested in capturing the intensity of focus and interesting behavior

Technical Details

Nikon Coolpix A 1000
116 mm
1/1250 sec
F/6.9
ISO 100

Hi Marie-

Thanks for sharing…this is a bird “pounce” and I like it. You’ve caught that moment that patience waits for…when they can catch food.

The crop really speaks to the moment of action when the eyes are big and the foot comes up, ready to make a move.

As for the Black and white, I like mine to be really dramatic. I’d like to see more black blacks in this and maybe bring the highlights down a bit, especially on that lower beak.

Not sure if you adjusted your exposure compensation… but I would underexpose an image like this to protect my whites. If you get to shoot them again, play with that a little.

In post, you just bring the exposure back up to the same amount you under exposed.

Hope that helps!

Yes, it helps!. Thank you!