"The Fortress" (revisited)

3-17-2019 - Colorado

About a month ago, I posted this peak in a wider shot and in harsh early morning light. I turned that one into a decent black and white landscape aspect image. I wrote that I would return with better timing, composition, and light. I can say that take-two was a much improved outcome as the horizon lit up in purple and pink before the sun broke into the scene. Even at 11k+ feet the wind was none existent to cap off quite the morning. Any feed back or tweaks would be appreciated, thanks!

What technical feedback would you like if any? any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

one shot, 180mm, 100iso, f11, 0.4 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig @seannthom

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Cool simplistic shot Sean. Not sure there is much to do. Looks good. I love that leading s curve going up the mountain from left to right. What I might to do is ever so slightly enhance that rolling s curve and see what it looks like.

1 Like

Sean, I like the graphic qualities of this image, and the twilight mood and colors in the scene. your processing of exposure, contrast and color looks good to me, I like that you retained the cool tones in the snow, it adds to the twilight feeling. There is something about the composition that bothers me though. To me it feels like there is too much empty negative space in the snow in the right half of the scene, which unbalances what is otherwise a symmetrical composition. If it was possible (and I suspect it probably was not) I would have tried to move to the left and put that S-curve further away from the left edge of the frame.

1 Like

Thanks for the comment Greg! Yes, I agree that a bit of increased detail or faint touches of dodge and burning will make it pop more.

Ed,
A few circumstances didn’t quite allow other view points at this particular time. But I can see your point. This was shot earlier by me not quite as tight and it had a ton of negative space and I definitely took that into consideration by shooting it vertical this time around. Also, the pines doting my foreground with back-country ski tracks were hard to exclude or crop out to get rid of the negative. The did make sure that area held its detail. Thanks for your comment!