The Fourth + reworked

The Forth + reworked

Version 1

Version 2

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I enjoy the energy in the ICM. The suggestion of the Bottle Brush leaves adds interest to the otherwise abstract nature of the composition. However, I’m bothered by the deep red in the upper left corner, so I used “copy and paste” to cover it. I prefer the second version over the first. I tried using generative AI fill, but the results were disastrous. Several small areas were blown out and presented a challenge. The play of light and dark in ICM adds interest to the composition. But the problem of blown highlights becomes a problem.

Creative direction

I am using the abstract nature of the composition to suggest an actual event.

Specific Feedback

All feed back is appreciated. Which version do you prefer? Have I succeeded in suggesting fireworks?

Technical Details

Taken with a Sony DSC-RX100MG6 hand-held, this little camera is easy to move during exposure.
ISO 100, f/11, 1/10 sec. focal length 72 mm
Processed in LR and PS

Description

I’ve been having a great time experimenting with ICM. It’s so infectious. I find myself eagerly anticipating my next shot, hoping it’ll be the best one yet. I also explore the yard, searching for interesting subjects. There are so many possibilities.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I definitely see the fireworks, although I can’t tell whether I would’ve without the hint. The direction and amount in the movement is great and I love the colours as well as the general energy.

What stings a my eyes a little bit is the brightest highlights, especially the larger one towards the lower left corner which seems to hide some nice detail. In images like this one, I usually either deal with locally obtrusive or even completely blown highlights with either a Lightroom adjustment brush or I use the healing (or sometimes), the clone tool, lowering the opacity to make things blend nicely. I sometimes alos layer a couple of healing/cloning patches. It can sometimes be a bit difficult to select a specific ”patch” but with a little practice and turning on and off visibility of the “patch handles” with the shortcut “H” makes navigation easier.

The nice thing with doing this in Lr, is that you can easily move the clone/heal source and adjust the opacity after you’ve made your selection.

Composition wise, I think that removing the dark red patch in the upper left corner was a great call but I also think that you could tweak it (and perhaps expand it a little to the left) as if feels a bit dark up there. I also think that it (the cloned area) could do with a bit more contrast or clarity to bring out more of the texture.

The red patch on the right is in a bit of a distracting spot too and I’d have a swing at removing (or moving) that patch too to see how that feels.

While it has a couple of the most common “ICM niggles” it’s a beautiful photo that I think deserves the extra work. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry for the late response Barbara. I was out of town visiting family. I can see the reference to the Fourth in your abstract image. Love the energy in the photo. The plants have a nice “starburt” effect and the splashes of color contrast well with the greens. I agree with Stéphane in his recommendations.

I would also try this in another patch of your garden with other colorful flowers to see what the results look like.

1 Like

@StéphaneJean and @Alfredo_Mora, I thank you both for your in-depth feedback on this image. I do my editing in Photoshop because of the ability to work on layers and control opacity and blending modes. I have tried to follow the excellent suggestions made by @StéphaneJean. This has been an interesting challenge. @Alfredo_Mora, I think I have tried ICM on just about every patch of color in my garden. It is contagious.

1 Like

Thanks @Barbara_Djordjevic, I’m glad that my suggestions helped(?). Yes, layers certainly are powerful. I rarely use/miss them or blending modes though, unless I need to blend exposures, but what’s more important for creativity is an intuitive workflow that “just works”, and that is a very individual deal.

But I think that you should be able to emulate my cloning/healing suggestions without too much trouble.

I think that it’s interesting how our chosen tools shape how we think and solve things. They all have pros and cons and if we’re really lucky, we find one that fits our ways of thinking without any cons. :slightly_smiling_face:

Did “the interesting challenge” yield any satisfactory outcome? :slightly_smiling_face:

@StéphaneJean, your cloning/healing suggestions are very easy to implement in Photoshop. Sometimes, I use a healing brush, place it on its own layer, and adjust the opacity. I am pleased with the results from your suggestions. The time you have taken to reply is greatly appreciated. It’s interesting to note how each of us uses a workflow that is comfortable. Having said that, I am always open to learning other ways to accomplish the desired outcome.

1 Like

I’m happy that I could help. :blush:

Another benefit of working with layers is that one can rotate, scale and transform the clone/healing patch/layer. The latest DxO Photolab version allows you to rotate the healing sources individually (maybe even scale them, I’m not sure) which is something I’d really love to see in Lr!

1 Like