The Gangs All Here

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was in a Zodiac with a group of photographers and we were touring the water in a segment of the Inside Passage ,AK. and the water and surrounding shore line was loaded with these Sea Lions.

Specific Feedback

any and all are appreciated

Technical Details

Sony a7rm3

Really nice focus and depth on this image James. I think those were the same sea lions chasing my fish around. Kidding, kind of. . .

Wonderful sharp image given that the seals are facing all directions. You were so fortunate to have so many come up for feeding or the photo op…

The positions of the animals and the movement of the water hold my attention. There is energy and excitement in this image. The warm browns of the seals compliment the blues in the water. I want to linger with this picture.

What a great group! Terrific timing. My first impression is fun and frolic, but my second is that the highlights are a bit crushed and probably the whole range from mid tones to them. Maybe let some off the leash a bit for some more zip.

Ed, thanks for the comment and I don’t recommend fishing in this area…LOL

I was fortunate to be in an area with a heavy concentration of feeding Sea Lions. I appreciate your interest in this image .

I am working with a new 16 inch Mac Book Pro w/M3 chip and processing with the HDR mode when needed. Might there be some problem with posting HDR image if the viewer does not have the capability of seeing a HDR image?

Barbara, it’s nice to be able to linger , while viewing viewing an image and I wished I had more time to linger with the camera while in a moving Zodiac. Glad you enjoyed the image!

Possibly, but I am on the same laptop with an M2 chip so can see full HDR. I brought the image into Photoshop to have a look and yup - all the information above the mid tones range is basically absent -

See what I mean? There’s a lot more life in the shot to my eyes and the natural range of whites looks more appropriate to how we see light and shadow.

thank you, that did make a difference and I can see that I over corrected the highlights.