The gate

As the gate opens
One should follow the light path
Sunshine will be found

Type of Critique Requested

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

The whimsical shapes of trees and the light happening in these dunes near the North Sea caught my attention. While looking for something else than trees.

Technical Details

F11, 1/125, iso 160, 70-200 at 200mm

The light is perfect on those scraggly trees, Ben. Awesome composition and placement of everything in the frame. Well done!

1 Like

Ben,

I much pre this over your previous post. This just seems more “comfortable” and enjoyable to follow the light, as you’ve done with your Haiku! I think it’s the light on the various grasses that keeps me engaged with this. I think maybe a slight crop from the top? OR perhaps a little vingette.

Nicely seen and photographed.

Lon

My eyes followed the line of those grasses all through the frame. Led me right where you wanted me to look. Framing branches and tangly goodness above. You have such a distinctive style in processing and in the choice of scenes you photograph. Not everyone would be attracted to them and I’m glad you are. Nature is complex, yet simple when you break it down.

The light coming from the right and the fact that all of the trees are angled left make this a really strong image compositionally and aesthetically. It has a great feel to it and I like it a lot!

To me this is a somewhat chaotic scene but the light and the tree bow focus the interest in such a manner that that is not a problem at all. The light is great in general, but I especially like how you have used the light (and the corresponding shadows) to lead the viewer towards the tree bow.

Maybe a slight crop from the right would concentrate the image even more to be about the lines towards the bow and the bow itself.

@David_Bostock , @Lon_Overacker , @Kris_Smith, @Tom_Nevesely , @Ola_Jovall , Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.They give me possibilities I also like.
It is personal . But I let the light as it is.To my feeling the lighter and darker part make the image.

Ben,
For me this lovely woodland scene is all about the exquisite light illuminating the trees and grasses. I find this very uplifting and the haiku is perfectly matched to this image. My only suggestion would be to tone down the ULC slightly to balance the URC. I love the character of the trees with their twisted limbs. Beautifully done!

1 Like

Thank you Ed for your suggestion. I mist your valued comments for some time.