Open gate

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In a dense forest
The far background visible
Trough an open gate

Specific Feedback

All feedback is welcome

Technical Details

F9, 1/4, Iso 200, 24-70 at 52mm

3 Likes

This image is beautifully done Ben! The greens are simply wonderful and this has a nice sense of depth to it with the layering; beginning with the FG grasses and continuing into the slightly darker tunnel in the BG. I think the graceful curving limb is perfectly placed and is another beautiful element in the scene as it adds to the sense of depth.

My only suggestion; and this is being super picky; would be to tone down those couple of brighter areas on the underside of the limb. I love this. Beautifully done Ben!

Ben,

Outstanding! Classic Ben, but in a different way. Here’s what I mean. The vast majority of your images and work one has to include the word “light.” It goes without saying. It’s true here as well, only I immediately thought of “Anti-light”. What does that mean? Well, for me it’s actually the dark whole on the other side of the gate that I’m drawn too. This is surrounded of course by beautiful light and the framing by the arching tree and grasses.

This is just beautifully seen and photographed no matter how this is described.

I would agree with Ed on mitigating some of the brighter patches of leaves, but that is very minor. Your statement and image are very clear.

Wonderful work! So glad you share your part of the world with us.

Lon

Well done. What I particularly like is the mystery created by the relatively dark patch. What’s in there? Where does it go? A little mystery always improves a photo.

I agree. The dark patch adds an element to the image. I guess it’s kind of a vortex.

1 Like

Wow I’m really impressed by this image, great work @Ben_van_der_Sande … you somehow managed to transform the chaos of greenery in the woods, to a fluidity that starts from the periphery of the image and gradually flows like a vortex to the dark centre… and then I repeat this fluid motion again and again. This is captivating and exceptional… Kudos.
… p.s In the description you are writing “Trough an open gate”. Did you mean to say “Through an open gate” maybe?

@Lon_Overacker , @Nikos , @Igor_Doncov , @Don_Peters , @Ed_Lowe .
Due to my limited knowledge of English . I’m sitting here with a dictionary on my lap. :yum: And first had to look for the meaning of “limb”. Now I know I am a bit stubborn . All those different lights making the gate as I call it, Stronger !! I think.
I love the name "Mystery " And yes it must be Through in stead of Trough. Thank you all, learned a lot !!
Ben

1 Like