The Glen, Ricketts Glen State Park, Pennsylvania

This is one of the larger waterfalls at Ricketts Glen State Park from last weekend. I really like the composition I came away with here, as I love leading lines and I think the tree trunk and the lower cascades work well in that respect. However, I struggled MIGHTILY with the dynamic range in this image, teetering between overprocessing and having too much darkness on the right side. I don’t know how I feel about the image right now. I also feel weird about the overall temperature. It feels too cool in some places and too warm in others. Is there balance here? I also raised the output on the blacks a bit because of the deep shadows, but I think it may have just made things worse by doing that. Any feedback would be appreciated. I might go back to the drawing board on this one and redo the processing.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Dynamic range and white balance

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
2 images bracketed for dynamic range.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This looks like Ozone Falls, Matt. I like the overall image and it looks like you had some nice water flows while you were there. The water looks a little to cyan to me so I would reduce that some and maybe reduce the green just a touch. I think you could open the shadows a bit to show off those lovely green moss covered rocks on the right side. I hear you on just starting over as sometimes that works out for the best. This image is certainly worth working on a little more. BTW, nice lead in line with the tree.

2 Likes

Matt,

Indeed a nice composition and certainly a great take on these falls. I like the “triple play” of the cascades and the lead-in from the tree and rock shelf work to draw the viewer in

Your struggles are warranted in that this does appear to be quite the difficult scene to process and ultimately compromise in one or more elements. The first difficulty is in recognizing that a scene like this, and honestly most scenes do not have the same color balance throughout - naturally, even before processing. For example, the upper cascade and the sunlit glow above are clearly warmer in temperature due to the presence of the warm sunlight. Even the vegetation on the left is getting warm light. However, as you progress towards the bottom and right things get much cooler - again all natural lighting in the scene.

For me, I would start with the water. Yes, water will clearly take on the temperature and color balance of the surrounding scene and light. I think though that for the most part our human interpretation wants this closer to white. No right or wrong and it’s all in interpretation, but I’m with Ed in that I would try and balance out the waters. The lower cascades are a little green/cyan. The water looks good up top. I think if you could neutralize the water in the bottom cascades, everything else will fall in to place. I think the greens throughout are appropriate, including the yellow/greens in the glow up top.

The bigger issue for me is the darkness on the right. Not only little detail in the shadows, but in terms of the composition I think the upper right quadrant is “heavy” in the composition. I think cropping off a good portion (1/2?) of the dark rock on the right would help, along with a very little bit of increased luminosity.

Like Ed wrote, this scene is most certainly worth the extra tweaks.

Lon

3 Likes

Hi Matt, I like this composition a lot. The leading lines are great, and the waterfalls are eye catching. I think simply adding some magenta to the scene would help in reducing the greenish blue tint. You could do this with selective color in the neutral tones. Additionally i think raising the black point reduced some of the contrast in the midtones. I’m no expert but i have experimented with luminosity masks. If you have them available you could try adding some contrast to the middle tones of the image.

I think this is a great image. thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hey Matt,

White balance is very subjective and very important. I found this image to be too green and cyan for my taste. I know what you mean by some areas having different white balances and Lon spoke to that well. Luckily, photoshop is an amazing program for local adjustments. You can get super detailed with it, but a lot of the time I find simply making a selective color layer, lowering the opacity to 50% or lower, and then fiddling with all 36 sliders can really really improve an image. It’s tedious but sometimes less tedious that making lots of custom selections for each area you want to change.

I (quickly and sloppily) did that with this image, and then also did some quick burning to basically everything that wasn’t the waterfall or the really dark stuff (avoiding it using an inverted darks luminosity mask applied to my dodge/burn layer). There’s a couple areas I would probably fine tune on their own like the still very cyan lower middle falls and the pretty intense green in the top half of the image.

Hope this helps.

blacks neutrals whites magentas blues cyan green yellow red

2 Likes

Hey Ed,

You nailed it. This is Ozone. I have several more images that I bracketed here so I am going back to the drawing board to see if I can get some better detail from the shelf on the right

@Lon_Overacker @Brent_Clark @Hermann_Philips thanks all for the suggestions. My biggest issue with the image prior was the contrast as Hermann suggested. I tried luminosity masks to do a couple different things and I think I just did way too much with the image that I have to go back and start over.

The color casts were really bothering me in some areas but I was having trouble pinpointing myself. You guys really helped.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I’m going to work on this one and see if I can come away with something!

Matt, let me start by saying that this is a very powerful and well thought out composition. It has a "radial’ look to it that is very dynamic. And to me the strongest leading line is not the logs, it’s actually the rocks, on both the left and right. As @Ed_Lowe said its very much worth investing processing time to get this “right”, even if you decide to start over.

I think you have also gotten some outstanding advice from @Lon_Overacker and @Brent_Clark on local vs. global adjustments for exposure and contrast, and on adjusting color. I see from your response that you already use luminosity masks, so you have the tools needed to face the kind of challenges that you encountered in this image.

Mixed light like this presents challenges, there are areas in the scene that should be warm, (generally highlights), and areas that should be cooler, (generally shadows). When you try to just process WB globally via Temp/Tint in Lightroom you will never find there is one “balance” that works well for everything. Instead, try to approach WB on a local basis using Luminosity Mask selections. If you use the TK panel, make a Lights 2 or Lights 3 selection and increase warmth via Photo Filter or Color Balance adding yellow. Make sure your deeper shadows (especially green shadows) remain cooler, you want to avoid making shadows too warm by using global increases in warmth. Greens in shadow are naturally cool. You can use the eyedropper tool to measure shadows, make sure they have more blue. Here is your original post with some key eyedropper measurements

I like to take readings on what should be neutral colors to evaluate for color casts (either naturally created or processing induced). The three reading of the white water tell me that you have naturally mixed light in the scene. The left most reading is a relatively neutral white, the upper one is a bit warmer (both these points are receiving more direct or indirect sunlight), and the lower right reading is cooler (and it is more shaded), but it has a definite green color cast. These readings confirm that you have mixed lighting here that require local and not global color adjustment. You do not necessarily want to make each or any of them of them neutral. Take into account the light they are receiving, for example. Personally I like cooler whites in waterfall scenes like this, which contrasts nicely against warmer sunlit vegetation. The lower right white water reading tells me there is a strong green color cast in that area, it may be natural from reflected light off the moss, or it may be processing induced. I would try to correct that, it doesn’t look good. Use your color adjustments for creative effect, as well to correct obvious color casts.

The readings on the two shadow areas tell me that you kept your shadow areas, and shaded greens, relatively cool, and I think your processing of color there is pretty good.

In terms of the exposure / luminosity of the shadows, I find using a TK subtracted Luminosity Mask can be very effective in lifting shadows without losing too much contrast. I typically start by making a D2 - D5 subtracted selection and use a levels or curves adjustment layer to lift the shadows through that luminosity mask. And often I will place that D2-D5 layer in a group, and paint on the group mask to bring the shadow lift into only the areas of the image that I want to. Applying it globally often does not produce the best results. Here is a rework with a D2-D5 lift applied only to the far right shadows.