The Grace of Water & Rock

I knew I was saving this for something - this week’s Weekly Challenge! I was fooling around with long exposures, and I noticed how the curves of the flow lines complemented the curved edge of the rock. It felt quite graceful.

Specific Feedback Requested

Compositionally, the idea was that the large expanse of light water would balance the darker rock. Too weird?

(OTOH, I can picture an inspirational quote placed in that space, or even better, one of Ola’s haiku. )

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 92mm, f/16, 5s, ISO 100, with a 6-stop ND filter.

bonnie_lampley

Hi @Bonnie_Lampley

For me its not weirs, i like the balance of the image, and i would like to see a bit more of rock on the image because of that beautiful texture on the rock face.

The water and rock create a gorgeous contrast, the dark and light, soft water and hard rock.

Very well spotted and captured, cheers.

Bonnie, I agree that the physical contrast between the soft water and the hard rock looks very good. The details in the rock also stand out. There are good parallel shapes between the waves in both the water and the stone.

Thanks, @João_Ferrão and @Mark_Seaver. João, I do have one with more of the rock, but the water looks more energetic because I used a shorter shutter speed. Here’s that version.

I do like the second image due to both the size of the rock and the less contrast

1 Like