Water on the rocks + Repost

Repost

Original

It was a rainy day at the coast of Madeira. Actually, we were out photographing high waves. But a rock that the waves kept flowing around caught my attention.

This image is completely different from the other images from the same series. The water hangs like a curtain in front of the rock. You can’t guess what the rock underneath looks like.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Is there anything that I could improve?
As always, any Feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 200, 107mm, F/9, 0.4s

I processed the image in LR, just some basic adjustments, increasing the contrast and texture.

4 Likes

Jens, this is such a different image. I really like it. I am impressed with the frozen action of the water. It makes a great abstract-like scene. I think you have a nice balance of the white water against the rocks, the composition works very well in that regard.

I can’t think of anything I would recommend for improvement. I like it as is and think it would make an exceptional wall print.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Jens, this is just such a great image! Like it a lot for instance due to the contrast between the white and black areas in tones but also in patterns and details. Also, your overall composition and framing is very good. Just one very minor comment, but is it possible to just increase the texture a tad in the URC?

@David_Bostock, @Ola_Jovall
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Yes, good point. I will try to do that.

A stunning image. That .4s yielded that level of detail at the edge of the wave is remarkable. And, for me, that IS the most compelling part of the image. That said, as @Ola_Jovall suggests, I’d love to see a bit more detail in the URC and, only because you teased us about “what the rock underneath looks like” maybe increase the contrast in the rock ever so slightly. This is an image I’d love to see every day.

1 Like

Hi John,
thank you for your feedback and your kind words. I really appreciate that.

Yes, I agree, it seems like the movement is completely frozen.

Just for reference, I add two additional images. The first one is the image I posted already but in the original orientation:

The second image was taken with the same camera settings exactly seven seconds after the first one:

@Ola_Jovall @JohnSnell
I tried to recover more detail in the URC and added a little contrast.
Thanks for your advice

1 Like

The repost is an excellent improvement in my opinion.

Jens,

This is quite unique - and outstanding! I’m quite amazed at how the water does indeed look like it’s frozen, yet clearly there was motion with the longer SS. I think it’s the finite ending (or beginning) where the water ends and the rock begins that makes this come across as frozen in time.

Great job squeezing out the extra detail in the water in the repost. I think you’ve nailed it.

I can’t think of anything you could do to improve this. Love it.

Lon

1 Like

Thank you very much for your feedback, Lon.

“Wild thing. I think I love you”. I like this one very much. It’s very suggestive of wild and unnameable forces. I see hair in here but other things come to mind as well. I didn’t see this as water until having read some of the comments. The shape within the darkness is also a mystery.

Very nice image. The contrast between the rocks and the water works great, and you’ve no doubt brought out the best here. The streaks are so fine, like hair… a white horse’s, or perhaps an old mermaid’s… (!)? :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you very much, Laura. I really appreciate your feedback.

Yes, this image is really unique in all the shots I’ve taken at this spot. I assume that the wave hit the nearby rock and flew over these rocks here.